Thursday, May 19, 2011

Melted Wires

Here I am on a Thursday, not quite as bored as I should be.  I'm keeping Gabriel a few times a week for now.  Gabriel is my new cousin's son, making him my cousin as well, but we have decided that we will  make it uniform and all be aunts and uncles.  It is going to get too confusing with having to differentiate and it builds better bonding!!  He is such a joy.  He has a double ear infection right now which makes him a fussy baby but it's nothing I can't handle.  Plus, as he gets better, his spirit improves. :)

As more times passes since Tim's graduation (and a number of other friend's graduation) I have noticed a lot of people are joining the Berea College Black Alumni page.  I just wonder what would happen if someone made a Berea College White Alumni group.  It would probably be called blasphemous and racist.  I have nothing against young black people making a stand in their odds (statistically speaking).  It was just a thought and now that I have expressed that thought, I will let it go.

Tim found a temporary job, just a week after graduating! Go him!! I feel bad now, in his first full week because I encouraged him to take it.  It's a sales jobs based on commission for the first few weeks then he will be promoted to a manager position.  He has not had any consistent hours so far and the ones that they said he would have were 10:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m (and we don't think he'll be paid for his loooong hours).  Today is the first time he has been given those hours.  But one of his coworkers said that they don't even pick them up from their site until after 8 usually!  We'll give it a few more days then I'm going to affirm his quitting idea.  He needs to focus all that energy on getting a great job and not waste it on an idiot company.  What really happened was the guy who pitched him the job is a top notch salesman himself and I panicked (and I think Tim did as well) because how often does that happen?  It sounded really nice at first and I hate being broke all the time. *sigh*  We're just putting money into with gas, and all of his time and energy too.  It's not worth it unless he gets paid what he deserves, and we're talking a lot of $$$ here.

Bertha is working again...not.  Turns out, the battery that we bought specifically for her ACCORDING to the "book" is the wrong one and all the wires were melted together, probably causing the short.  Probably didn't even need to get a new starter either... My dad and brother replaced the wires and I guess my mom will buy the new battery, because, goodness knows, we can't afford it or a new car.  Battery wins.  Then, when it is test driven, I'll go get it.  It has to be able to withstand the long drive though or I'm not even going to do it.  Maybe if I can get it to my sister's house, which is 40 minutes from my parent's to Tim's cousin's house in Cincinnati, then here, maybe that will work.  I'll talk to Tim about it.  Baby Steps for my fat cow.  Haha, when I describe Bertha to my new family, I don't think they realize that this car is literally a cow.  Even with the front bumper finally fixed (*cough* no more duct tape on it), she still is the ugliest, fattest, thing to roam the streets and with my Kentucky plates on it, I'm sure they'll all agree.  I'm considering painting daisies on her. 

No comments: