Sunday, April 6, 2014

Day 6 Of No Refined Sugar

People keep asking me why we are doing this. Tim keeps asking me why he agreed to it, I keep asking myself, why am I doing this? We keep saying never again! NEVER AGAIN! Grazing yesterday did not help. Maybe my waistline, but that's not why we are doing this.

Let me make that clear, we aren't doing this to lose weight. Will it be nice to lose weight from it? Yes. Very much so. I stepped on a scale because it was right there and I have dropped 8 lbs. Maybe less, since the scale might be off a little. Am I excited about it? Not really. I am happy to shed the weight but it's not really a fat weight. It's really my body detoxing in a way. Just emptying out. 8 pounds seems to be nothing lately for me to lose and gain and lose.

We're doing this because we can. Because we feel like it's going to be a real eye opener. Because we know that if we keep going on the way we have been, bad things are going to happen to our health, now and in the long run. I would not have thought that my food has sugar in it, ALL of my food has processed sugar in it. Here we are "treating" ourselves to these cookies and sweets and candy bars because we think that we aren't consuming it everywhere else. We've been fooling ourselves! Completely ignorant and oblivious to what we are putting in our bodies.

We know that with challenges like this, we are going to learn an abundant of healthy ways to live. Some we might leave behind, others we'll keep. But we are never going to truly know what it's like until we do it. If we don't do it, we'll never even try. We're holding ourselves accountable to this simple principle of no refined sugars. To be honest, it can't be that hard. Think of the people who HAVE to do this every single day or experience extreme health problems and set backs. We can learn to enjoy it. It can't be that hard. It's ONE month of our lives. 1.

With that being said, let me tell you about our day! It was great. Tim fixed a piece of exhaust on the mustang while I cleaned two rims and Jim cleaned his car windows and Valerie gathered supplies. We put the first top coat on her counters (looks GREAT!), packed and left. On 75 north Tim decided that my parent's house was close enough to Lexington to go ahead and take the split towards Louisville (rather than Cincinnati). My dad and sister were supposed to be throwing a very late birthday party for my mom right around the time we would have arrived. Well, that fell through and she was pretty upset about it. We met Marybeth at Target by Tinsletown and bought the madre cupcakes we couldn't eat, then headed up there. It sure was a surprise for her!

It worked out wonderfully. We did end up driving for 2 extra hours but it was worth it.

We ended up snacking on fruit and nuts in the car. We were starving by the time we got home. Tim found noodles that were acceptable and ate those with something and I made a Potato, mushroom, kale dish that was very tasty.

No comments: