Friday, June 6, 2014

Favorite Cake Friday

Friday came a little early this week (like on Tuesday or Wednesday)...

I wanted to make another cake from scratch. It's scary sometimes because I never know how it's going to turn out. I started with a handmade yellow cake that I had written down years ago (I would cite the source but I'm not sure where it came from....). It was a recipe intended for mason jar gifts.

If you can't tell by now, I like to start simple and then get more extravagant and complicated as my confidence increases.

Recipe for Yellow Cake:

Ingredients

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups milk
1/8 cup vegetable oil
1 stick butter, softened
1 tbsp vanilla extract
3 large eggs



Instructions

Place softened butter into stand mixer and mix on medium for 1-2 minutes.
Place dry ingredients into stand mixer and combine with butter for 30 seconds.
Add milk, oil, vanilla and eggs and mix on medium-high for one minute.
Pour batter into oiled or buttered pans. Bake at 350. 
*For 9-inch pans its 20-25 minutes. For cupcakes start checking around 15 minutes. 

Cool before frosting.


I was a little disappointed at first because the cake tasted like eggs. I frosted it with Hershey's chocolate frosting and it was delicious.

As soon as I feel like it, I'll load my pictures from my phone and update the blog with it.


1 comment:

Life Scraps and Patches said...

You're putting me in a baking mood. Sounds so good.