Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Day 1 of No Refined Sugar


We started the Healthy Families for God no-refined sugar challenge today. I've been calm/mixed with anxious. I just hope I don't blow it by absently shoving something in my face. I've also discovered that I'm more likely to mess up on one of these challenges when I'm hungry. So, I'm trying my best to not be hungry. It was tough around lunch time, I didn't have time for breakfast but I don't really care. I guess it would make lunch easier and I was thinking about making a shake for breakfast and I may get to that. If I can wake up 30 minutes earlier then I think I could do it. That means I'll have to go to bed between 10 pm and midnight and I'm not sure how I can do that unless I 'm more efficient and use my time wisely between 8 and 10 pm (8 is the kid's bedtime and quite frankly I like to sit on my butt and do nothing with Tim).

I made a breakfast granola last night. It took forever! More than the time it said on the recipe instructions, and it made my house smell weird, like an old cinnamon spicey cat lady's house. The smell has finally left the building 12 hours later! The kids hated the granola. LOL I should have paid attention to it being loose granola, best to be served with something! But what? Every yogurt I have found has a forbidden sugar/sweetener in it. Well, I did find ONE brand, and it was yogurt made from goat's milk. I'm down with that. In fact, even more so than greek yogurts and the regular stuff. Sehara is snacking on that granola/yogurt mixture, plus strawberry's mixed in.

Sehara's Snack
I'm actually nervous about eating goat yogurt. But(added later on in the day), it's pretty good!

The biggest problem I'm having right now is getting confused with this challenge, and I mean that most everything I find is not just about no-refined sugars, it's about being Gluten free and dairy free and a few acronyms and abbreviations that I can't care enough about to look up! We don't really need to go gluten free (right now). As far as we know, we can handle it.  Separating GMO's and going organic matters, yes, taking out GMO's is more important but they seem to go hand in hand as far as I can tell. I have found some things that don't, though, which is good for me because those things don't cost as much.

Now, with all that being said, we are definitely willing and happy to make recipes that take all that other stuff out, AS long as it is easy, not costly,  filling, and good (won't know until after we try it).

I'm seriously considering taking a tylenol for my headache. I'm assuming that's a withdrawal symptom? Either the sugar or I haven't had as much caffeine, or both! Heck.

Ok, here's my list of today's surprising sugar-added foods:
-breakfast sausage
-frozen broccoli and cheese "healthy" steamable (ha)We usually buy fresh, but got lazy, joke's on us.
-seasoned frozen french fries (also, usually buy potatoes and cut them, blah blah)

Meals:

For Breakfast: Healthy Families for God's granola mix and fruit (pineapple and apple)
Lunch: Onion, Garlic, Kale and Eggs
Snack: Goat Yogurt, Granola Mix, Strawberry's
Dinner: Quinoa, Corn, Tomatoes, Kale Chips, Pineapple
Snack: Banana and orange shake with vanilla and unsweetened cocoa




2 comments:

Life Scraps and Patches said...

Good luck, this sounds great. I really admire you for taking this on knowing that with a family it will require lots of planning. I've cut down dramatically during Lent and will probably continue, no sweet baked goods, candy, ice cream, etc., but I have to admit that I don't read the frozen broccoli or catsup bottles.

Jenni Pugh said...

I never did either, I took it for being healthy, but now that I know I honestly can't justify eating it! I have to find a good cheese without sugar so I can make my own broccoli and cheese.